HLS Movie Awards Top 160 Movies of 2022 Part 2! 100-51

    Welcome back to the HLS Movie Awards! Today we are going through the Top 160 movies of 2022, and this list shall cover 100 thought 51. This is a really weird chunk of the list because as you will see, there are a LOT of good movies here. I have been calling it for a long time that 2022 will be an all-time year of film and I think this section really shows it. So many times, even for myself, as I wrote out names I was like "__ is this low?" but there were just that many good movies this year. Tons of big blockbusters, horror and a resurgence of really good romcoms are in this section and I hope you get to check them out! Well anyway I won't waste too much more time you know how this goes!

    Real quick, like always with every movie I am going to be putting what I personally think is the safest grading scale there is, the IMDB user rating score. Here is a simple breakdown of what their 0.0-10 grading scale means:

0.1-5.0  = Horrible waste of time
5.1-6.4  = Risky might be good might be garbage (lot of horror falls here)
6.5-7.4  = Good solid movie
7.5+      = Movie that is widely adored / enjoyed

Now this is not a gold standard but is a good starting point, on to the movies. On to the movies!


100. Windfall (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 5.7

    The ending hurt this movie for me, ultimately it is just an okay film with three actors I love so I had a good time.


99. Significant Other (Paramount+)

IMDb Score: 5.7

    I was fully in for the "twist", if you can call it that, but I wish they leaned one way or the other genre wise.


98. Something from Tiffany's

IMDb Score: 6.2

    Please make more romcoms like this! I miss the 90s-2000s romcom vibe and this movie did a great job capturing and modernizing it (just like another further down this list).


97. Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 7.2

    Was this supposed to be a series? Or Shorts? It just didn't feel like a movie and personally the animation style wasn't my favorite though it was done well.


96. Fire Island (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 6.7

    Had a blast watching this retelling of Pride and Prejudice, so funny.


95. Operation Mincemeat (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 6.6

    A very solid WW2 film about a deception to save the war,


94. The Bad Guys

IMDb Score: 6.8

    Bad guys get a bad rep right? Well this movie sets out to, attempt, at redeeming them.


93. Metal Lords (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 6.7

    Outcasts starting a metal band in high school and rocking out while just trying to figure out who they are, stunned how much I enjoyed it.


92. Jurassic World: Dominion 

IMDb Score: 5.6

    It is a big dumb fun dino movie, I had a blast.


91. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

IMDb Score: 7.7

    I do not know why this movie did not really click with me, it is cute as a button but just didn't grab me.


90. Flux Gourmet

IMDb Score: 5.9

    The focus on sound and the oddity of those involved is so strange and disturbing at times but is just so well done. Wish they pumped up the script comedically though.


89. Day Shift (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 6.1

    Vampire hunting flick starring Jamie Foxx, Dave Franco and Snoop Dogg??? That is actually funny and has well done action? I will watch however many sequels Netflix wants to make.


88. Where the Crawdads Sing

IMDb Score: 7.2

    I feel like this is just about as good as you could make this story on film.


87. Devotion

IMDb Score: 6.6

    I seriously wish they held onto this movie for a year or two, Jonathan Majors is incredible in this but this film was vastly overshadowed by a more well-done naval aviator flick.


86. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

IMDb Score: 6.5

    How are these movies good? I genuinely do not know and I will take 10 more please.


85. The Adam Project (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 6.7

    Ryan Reynolds and the absolutely perfectly cast mini Ryan Reynolds with Mark Ruffalo as their dad? Yes please.


84. The Greatest Beer Run Ever (AppleTV)

IMDb Score: 6.8

    Give Zac Efron more roles like this, maybe without the accent.


83. The Lost City

IMDb Score: 6.1

    I need many more films with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum together.


82. I Want You Back (Amazon)

IMDb Score: 6.6

    Romcoms are back! Jenny Slate and Charlie Day are purposely not your stereotypes for that type of film but it works so well.


81. Crimes of the Future

IMDb Score: 5.9

    I am so intrigued by this WEIRD world but struggle to recommend watching this movie? It is just insanely weird and gross at times.


80. Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

IMDb Score: 7.1

    Wow I was shocked at how much this movie just had me smiling. I use the word way too often in describing movies but this movie was for sure a delight.


79. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers

IMDb Score: 7.0

    Absolutely zero reason for this movie to work, but it does. This is fun ridiculous meta.


78. Watcher

IMDb Score: 6.3

    A thriller that will leave you guessing at every turn, but I had to keep reminding myself what this movie even was going through this list.


77. Father Stu

IMDb Score: 6.5

    One of the best faith based movies in awhile that holds nothing back and doesn't sugar coat the main character.


76.  Three Thousand Years of Longing

IMDb Score: 6.7

    A movie that is shot and looks so intriguing but the script leaves you wishing it was something more. 


75. Spirited (AppleTV)

IMDb Score: 6.6

    This movie just needed one banger of a song for it to be added to most people's Christmas movie watchlist, at least it was Will Ferrell's first good movie in a bit.


74. RRR

IMDb Score: 7.9

    This is a WILD ride you are either in for and will love every step or will enjoy but the long runtime drags you down.


73. Causeway (AppleTV)

IMDb Score: 6.6

    Brian Tyree Henry and Jennifer Lawrence act their butts off but ultimately we have seen the US soldier PTSD story a lot and this did not bring that much new to the table, still very much worth the watch I really enjoyed it.


72. Prey (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 7.1

    First good Predator movie since 1990.


71. Not Okay (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 6.1

    Honestly, expected to hate this movie and now I am a big Zoey Deutch fan.


70. The Outfit

IMDb Score: 7.1

    I feel like this movie is just something away from being a really really great film but fell short to really good.


69. Don't Make Me Go (Amazon)

IMDb Score: 6.7

    This movies very basis is that something heart wrenching is going to happen, be prepared. Loved it, give Mia Isaac and John Cho many more roles like this.


68. Crush (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 6.3

    A movie about high school love and all the ridiculous things people do to get it.


67. Do Revenge (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 6.3

    This is the modern 90's coming of age movie about high school toxicity and revenge.


66. Lightyear

IMDb Score: 6.1

    This movie was entirely failed by marketing, if they just put the explanation in the first 5 seconds of the movie in the trailer as well then it would have been huge.


65. Minions: The Rise of Gru

IMDb Score: 6.5

    I think I have seen maybe just the first Despicable Me film and this movie was a funny ride, I'd bet people who like the series will love it. 


64. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 7.2
    
    Go watch this R rated heartfelt romantic dramady, its Emma Thompson in a sex comedy. It is a delight.


63. My Policeman (Amazon)

IMDb Score: 6.5

    Harry Styles is a much better actor than people give him credit for. 


62. Kimi (HBOMax)

IMDb Score: 6.3

    I need more people to watch this movie. This is the only good covid movie I have seen.


61. Barbarian

IMDb Score: 7.0

    This movie falls short of sticking the landing to me but was one of the best horror films of the year for about 2/3 of the runtime.


60. Fresh (Hulu)

IMDb Score: 6.7

    Shockingly good movie, did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Give me more Sebastian Stan and Daisy Edgar-Jones together on film.


59. Bones and All

IMDb Score: 6.9

    One of the most disturbing romances you will ever watch.


58. Empire of Light

IMDb Score: 6.6

    An obvious Oscar bait movie that feels like it took scripts for a show and turned it into a film.


57. X

IMDb Score: 6.6

    This series might be one of the most (least?) surprising special things to come out of A24.


56. Parallel Mothers

IMDb Score: 7.1

    Tremendously acted film, filled with heart and heartbreak.


55. Hustle (Netflix)

IMDb Score: 7.3

    An Adam Sandler basketball movie was great?? Really? Sandler is a huge basketball fan and got to make one of the best basketball movies in years.


54. Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom

IMDb Score: 7.4

    Beautiful scenic heartfelt movie about finding your purpose in life.


53. All My Friends Hate Me

IMDb Score: 6.3

    Oh wow I did not have much expectations going into this not knowing anything about it but man this movie will give you anxiety. Loved the mental torture that goes on throughout.


52. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

IMDb Score: 6.9

    Sam Raimi Sam Raimied all over this movie, if you love that I am sure you loved this. Doctor Strange might be my favorite fictional character of all time, I just wish this movie advanced his side of the mcu personally.


51. I Used to Be Famous

IMDb Score: 6.6

    This movie really shocked me how heartfelt and well made it was. Want a feel good movie about music? This is it.


Thank you so much for reading! Be sure to follow me on Twitter @HaroldLStokes and don't miss any updates to this year's HLS Movie Awards!

Popular posts from this blog

HLS Movie Awards Nominees: Best Screenplay and Dialogue

WandaVision : Disney's First MCU TV Show - What to Expect and Theories

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness Preview SPOILERS