Reaction to Gotham Awards

 

    Reading through the Gotham Award winners got me thinking about a few things

Best Feature

    Happy First Cow got a Best Feature nomination but I am very confused by some others.

     The Assistant is going to be the movie that just racks up nominations but never wins anything because everyone will throw it on their ballots as a "hey look at me" pick. For those of you who do not know the movie is essentially the Harvey Weinstein movie from the perspective of the assistant to a big movie producer, it is a very okay movie absolutely nothing special or ground breaking. 

    Relic!?!?!? I mean I really enjoyed the movie but this SHOCKED me to see it was nominated for BEST FEATURE of 2020

    And then the other two noms were the usual suspects of Never Rarely Sometimes Always and the Gotham Award winner for Best Feature, Nomadland. Still have not been able to see Nomadland I can't wait. shocked no Minari, Trail of the Chicago 7 and another movie I will get to in a second.

Best Actor/Actress

    Both Jessie Buckley and Jesse Plemons were nominated for Best Actress and Best Actor confused me because there was no best feature or best screenplay nom for I'm Thinking of Ending Things which it deserves both.

    How in the world did Viola Davis not even get a nomination here?? I personally think Elizabeth Moss and Carey Mulligan deserved nominations here for Invisible Man and Promising Young Woman respectively 

    Also confused by The Nest getting both of its leads nominated with Jude Law and Carrie Coon yet this is a movie that had very little buzz all year after releasing publicly in September 2020.    

    Also very happy to see Chadwick get a nom for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom as well as John Magaro for First Cow

    Riz Ahmed winning best actor for Sound of Metal is amazing his performance was great just not my personal choice for best actor this year

    Also shout out to Orion Lee getting Breakthrough Actor nom for First Cow, he was great

Best Screenplay

    I am happy Bad Education and The Vast of Night gets some love here they are amazing but I personally would leave them and multiple others off this list in favor of others

    Not having I'm Thinking of Ending Things here is crazy to me.

    I personally would have to include Sound of Metal, Trail of the Chicago & and Another Round

Best International Feature

    Bacurau being on here made me smile, I love how people have latched onto this just weird amazing little movie that is essentially just the Most Dangerous Game retold but interesting ways with a unique background

    Okay.. Not having Another Round on this least is insane. Another Round is more than just the Best International Feature it legitimately might be the best movie overall of the entire year. This really made me question the voters here not at least getting it a nomination here.

    

Also quick note the audience award going to a movie that has not even been released for public audiences to see is humorous 

Popular posts from this blog

HLS Movie Awards Nominees: Best Screenplay and Dialogue

The Batman Preview, Breakdown and Theories

WandaVision : Disney's First MCU TV Show - What to Expect and Theories